Visual & Noise
What You Can Do
How you can help Citizens for Alternatives to Longview Power (CALP)
CALP is working hard to prevent another coal-fired power plant from being built in our area. Many resident do not even know that they will be giving a tax break to a for-profit (big $$$) Massachusetts-based company that will pollute their air, raise their electricity rates, and ruin their beautiful mountain view! We already have 10 power plants in our immediate area -- 7 of which are coal fired. Longview will not cause any of the older power plants to shut down, it will just add to the pollution.
CALP is committed to educating the community about the REAL impacts of GenPower's proposed (and aptly named) Longview Power Plant.
You can help in the following ways:
- We need any monetary support you can provide! We need to pay for expert witnesses and legal expenses.
Please send checks payable to
Mon Valley Clean Air Coalition (MVCAC)
364 Patteson Dr #188
Morgantown, WV 26505.
Please include Longview on the memo line. Unfortunately, contributions toward our work on Longview are not tax deductible.
- Come to the Public Hearing in February 2006. The date has not been finalized yet, but keep checking this web site. We need as many people as possible to attend and hopefully speak out against Longview. Bring your family and everyone you know! The hearing will be in Morgantown (one in the afternoon and one in the evening), at a place and date yest to be named by the PSC.
- Talk to your family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues. Tell them about the plant, its pollution, its tax break, and its ugliness. Tell everyone: Longview is not a done deal!
BECOME MORE INVOLVED!! If you want to do more, we want you! Please contact us and we will let you know when the next CALP meeting will be.
- Contact the Monongalia County Commission NOW and voice your concerns.
Contact information is listed below.
Monongalia County Commission Commissioners John Pyles, Robert Bell, Asel Kennedy
Monongalia County Courthouse
243 High Street
Morgantown, WV 26505
E-mail (same for all three Commissioners):
Here is a list of other people to contact.
- Circulate a petition wherever you can.
- Display and circulate yard signs. Contact us to get some signs.
- Display and circulate BUMPER STICKERS! Contact us to receive bumper stickers.
LONGVIEW IS SHORT SIGHTED!